At CHWC, we ask campers to bring the items listed below, but we understand that packing can be challenging, so they are not required. The items will not be returned to you.
For 2023, we have introduced a new option to help you save space – you can also donate Home Depot gift cards. These will be accepted as an alternative to bringing physical items.
- Roller Cover
- Drop cloths
- Paint scraper
- Rags for cleaning
- Painters tape (a few rolls per group is great)
PERSONAL SAFETY TOOL LIST
Each person is also asked to bring the following items to CHWC. These tools will not be collected by CHWC.
- Water jug/bottle
- Safety goggles
- Work gloves
- Mini facemask for scraping/painting
We suggest bringing $75.00 for souvenirs or snacks. Credit cards can be used at the airport as well as in a few other various places. Time to explore on the workdays might be limited, but the campus is a 5-10 walk to downtown Christiansted, where there are shops, restaurants, and beautiful views of the ocean. There is also a ferry that runs back and forth to a small island with a beautiful beach. The ferry ride is about 2 minutes and costs a couple of dollars to ride. There will be times when you can shop for snacks and shop on your free day. You will be able to use the American dollar to shop, and you will receive local money as change in return. Also, for exchange purposes, please bring smaller bills like $5s and $10s. (For campers going to St. Croix, there is no difference in currency from the U.S.)
NOTE: Catholic HEART Workcamp cannot be held responsible for any lost or stolen materials such as clothes, jewelry, cell phones, etc. Therefore, please limit the number of valuables and possessions you bring.
PERSONAL SUPPLY LIST
- Casual/comfortable clothes
- Old T-shirts
- Work jeans
- Shorts (short shorts prohibited)
- Sturdy shoes or work boots
- Rain gear (optional)
- Bathing suit and flip-flops
- Bug spray
- Outfit for Mass on Sunday at local church
- Plastic bag for dirty clothes (there are no facilities or time allotted for doing laundry.)
- Hand Sanitizer or disinfectant Lysol (spray or wipes)
- Extra Tip: The roosters are great at making a lot of noise so earbuds or noise-canceling headphones are nice to have!
St. Mary’s Catholic School & Retreat Center
(15 minutes from the airport)
St. Croix U.S.V.I.
Sleeping: Individual supplies required (air-mattress, sleeping pad, cot, pillow, sheets, etc).
A/C: Yes, in both sleeping and program areas (small window units).
Showers: Outdoor tent showers (individual stalls).